XCOM’s ‘Second Wave’ DLC Available Today
2K Games and Firaxis Games announced today that Second Wave DLC is now available for XCOM: Enemy Unknown for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The new content comes via a free update, adding multiple new options designed to appeal to players looking for a new and different challenge. Specifically, the update adds a new menu of options that significantly alter the way XCOM is experienced. Many of the new options make XCOM much more difficult and demanding, something fans of the original game are sure to appreciate. Marathon, for example, makes the campaign take much longer, confronting players with higher costs and longer research periods and soldier healing times. Diminishing Returns, meanwhile, raises satellite construction costs for each satellite built.
“We really want to allow people to get more replayability out of XCOM,” said Lead designer Jake Solomon, who also noted that a core philosophy of Firaxis Games as a company is giving players “value for their dollar.”
Second Wave introduces 16 game-altering options to Enemy Unknown that allow players to further customize their play experience beyond Iron Man mode and the existing difficulty settings (the last four options are unlocked only when the game is completed on Impossible difficulty). See the full list of new options below.
- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.